The extrajudicial killing of Michael Brown on August 9, 2014 sparked a cry from Ferguson, Missouri that has not relented. Protests have continued daily across the greater St. Louis metro region ever since August 10.
As we approach the 1 year anniversary of Mike Brown's death, Unitarian Universalist leadership in St. Louis joins the local Action Council, Don’t Shoot Coalition and Movement community in a call for people of faith and conscience to join us here for the weekend of August 7-10, 2015. We are calling for UUs to show up for Ferguson. To read more or register to come to Ferguson, click here.
Whether or not you are able or interested in traveling to Ferguson, there are ways you can get involved. Our partners at PICO have pulled together resources and content for the Ferguson Week of Righteous Resistance. Click here to get more information and sign up. Our partners from Moral Monday CT are on the road to Ferguson all week with stops throughout the country. Click here to see if they will be stopping in your community and learn more on how to support. Additionally, the Ferguson National Response Network provides a significant number of options for local organizing events taking place throughout the country.
Four UU Churches will be hosting Sunday worship services related to the events- Emerson UU Chapel, Eliot Unitarian Chapel, First Unitarian Church of St. Louis, and First Unitarian Church of Alton. The Alton Church is also offering overnight floor space for people coming from out of town.
Here is a map which shows the locations of the churches (in purple), locations of other non-UU specific events (in blue), and locations of local hotels (in red). To find links to the hotel websites, and their room prices, just click the pin marking where the hotel is.
Tentative Schedule of Events:
- 3:00 pm there will be an event to build a memorial for Kajieme Powell [Riverview Blvd. and McLaran Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63147]
- 6:00 pm doors open at Eliot Chapel [100 S. Taylor Avenue Kirkwood, MO 63122] for networking and gathering*
- 7:00 pm-9:00 pm UU kickoff rally and orientation at Eliot Chapel*
- 11:30 am-12:30 pm vigil at the corner of Boone’s Crossing & Chesterfield Airport Rd, led by Emerson UU Chapel Love First team. This vigil has been going on weekly for 10 months.*
- 2:00 pm March from the Vonderrit memorial [Shaw Blvd and Klemm Street, St Louis, MO 63110] to block party [Grand and Arsenal Streets, St Louis, MO 63118]
- 7:00 pm Ferguson Rocks Concert at Ready Room [4195 Manchester Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63110]
- Worship at 4 local congregations (times may vary: Emerson UU Chapel, Eliot Unitarian Chapel, First Unitarian Church of St. Louis, and First Unitarian Church of Alton)*
- 11:00 am Silent March from Canfield to Greater St. Mark’s Church [9950 Glen Owen Drive, St. Louis, MO 63136]
- 1:00 pm The People’s Brunch at West Florissant Avenue
- 4:00 pm vigil, TBD
- 7:30pm Cornel West and local faith leaders panel at Greater St. Mark's Church [9950 Glen Owen Drive, St. Louis, MO 63136]
- Day of actions and civil disobedience
* denotes UU-led events
Events from our partners at Ferguson Action