Side with Love is already a vibrant catalyst for change at many congregations. Because we are an open-source, grassroots-led campaign, the way people engage with SWL and shape it is different in every single congregation: from engaged individuals leading vigils to social justice committees creating collaborations with partners in your community to rallies at your state capitol, we know that you are siding with love in powerful ways. But we trust there are even more tools you can use to organize within your congregation. Here are some resources to get you started, or help you continue the journey!
- Justice Ministries: Determining Grounding, Accountability, Fit, & Opportunity click here
- Creating a Collective Vision: Story of Self, Story of Us, and Story of Now click here
- Familiarize yourself with key messages from the campaign click here
- Check out the Unitarian Universalist Association's justice, immigration and and LGBTQ resource pages.
Motivate Leaders to Side with Love
- Ordained Leaders: Incorporate Side with Love themes into worship and sermons. Discuss the campaign with your board president and key congregational leaders and ask for their support. Check out these Side with Love worship materials.
- Religious Educators: Ask children and youth what Siding with Love means to them. Share their creative reflections with the congregation. Also, check out these multigenerational social justice resources.
- Congregational Leaders: Work with existing task forces, groups, and congregational staff to build enthusiasm.
Bring Side with Love to Your Congregation
- Order visibility materials: You can purchase t-shirts, pins, and more from the UUA bookstore. You are also welcome to create your own congregational materials with the Side with Love branding and logo, but we first ask that you email us at email@example.com to let us know what your plans are!
- Consider creating a banner with your congregational name and the SSL heart and a message that welcomes and invites newcomers in. Hold a banner hanging and dedication. Invite children and youth to participate.
- Set up a table or host discussion sessions for action and reflection. Reflect on your faith tradition’s theological foundations for Siding with Love.
- Photograph or video members engaging in creative activities and post on photo sharing sites like Flickr and YouTube or email them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Incorporate Side with Love into worship.
- Deepen your congregation’s involvement with Side with Love by creating systematic ways to address oppression in your community, such as an Immigrant Justice Task Force or a SWL Rapid Response Team. .
- Celebrate Courageous Love by presenting a Courageous Love Award to a member of your community.
Take up a Collection
- Set up a table or circulate a collection basket for donations. You can collect cash and use the credit card donation form for credit card donations.
- Find instructions and mailing address on the submitting congregational collections checklist.
- Make sure to include the collection gift information sheet when you mail your donations packet.